• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dry hopping in primary question

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I have an IPA in primary right now.  I was planning on letting it ferment for 2 weeks (just to make sure it is done). Instead of transfering to a secondary and then dry hopping in there, I would like to skip that step and just dry hop in primary after two weeks. It calls for a week of dryhopping. So 2 weeks in primary for fermenting, then dry hop for a week, then transfer to a keg for aging, and drinking. I love to eliminate steps, and decrease possibility of contamination. Would this be ok?

Thanks

Should work fine. Clarity may suffer a bit, and keg may have more gunk in it than usual.  Put a mesh screen over the intake tube?

I dry hop in the primary regularly with pellet hops.  Trick is wait about 4 to 5 days, but really when FG is within 4 points of target and then add hops.  If you add to early, you'll loose most of the hop-i-ness out the air lock.  When yeast flocculate they take almost all of the hop matter with them to the bottom.  Then I'll often hop again in the secondary, but with whole flowers this time around.  I add 2 to 5 oz per carboy depending on the OG and the desired punch.

cheers

Awsome, thanks for the input, I usually put a nylon mesh bag over the hose when transfering into my kegs, and that has always worked with keeping most of the sediment and hops out of the keg.

Back