• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

False bottom dead space in mash tun

T

tarmo_tali

Hi,

I was searching for answer for quite a long as I thinkit's rather common scenario, althouhg I have not found how to solve my issue, hence suggestion. I have mash/lauter tun as single SS kettle and I use perforated steel false bottom. Because of things are built I have rather large dead space underneath (approximatly 8 liters) and I am not able to configure BeerSmith to take this into account. If I take suggested number I get very thick mash (or completelty dry mash in case of small batch there all of the water is going underneath false bottom :). And I cannot just add 8 liters for dead space as it will mess up strike temperature. I can set lauter tun dead space in Beersmith but that does not affect mash calculations. It would be great if I can specify mash tun dead space.

Best Regards,
Tarmo

Back