• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew same recipe multiple times

H

hmbrewer

I have a question if I have a recipe let's call it beer1. And I brew it today the brewing date would be today's date. I want to brew it 6 months from now and the brew date would be that date. What if I really like that beer and over time brew it 3 or 4 times a year. How can I "track" the diffrent brew dates? I tried copying to brew log and then changed date to simulate a diffrent date and saved that to brew log it just over wrote the one that was there. Am I missing something? This sort of would tie into the suggestion of the scoresheets.

Jeff

Disregard.
What I did wrong was open up the one that was in the brew log and changed the date. If I open it up from the recipe folder change the date then save it to brew log it saves as a diffrent file(line). SO no problem. Sorry

Jeff

Good!
 All I do is go in and change the date of the recipe in the main folder.  After I've brewed it I press "Copy to Brew Log."

This leaves several recipes in the brew log - and I can differentiate by date.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad--just a thought on this...

What if, when you hit the "Copy to Brew Log" button, that the program would automatically change the date to "today's date" when the recipe is being copied to the Brew Log? This way, you wouldn't ever have to manually change dates--unless, of course, you don't "Copy to Brew Log" on the day you brew :) Sometimes I forget... :D

Your thoughts?

Colin,
I'm not sure that this would work.

I, for example, often brew a recipe and then enter the actual FG at the end of the fermentation along with some notes about taste and other stuff.  This might happen several weeks after I actually brew.

If I then copy the finished recipe with notes and FG into the brew log, I probably do not want it to automatically change the date - since I have already entered the brew date.

Thoughts?

Brad

Just a thought how about change the date field from just date to brew date, then add a date field in the carbonation area for final notes, FG etc.

Jeff

Hmm... I think I may have not been totally clear in my initial description. I think the problem lies where I mentioned "automatically change the date to "today's date" when the recipe is being copied to the Brew Log". I didn't mean to say that the program would change the date of the original "master" recipe, but rather the "cloned" copy that gets moved into the Brew Log folder.

I have my folders set up such that I have a folder called All-Grain Recipes, another called Imported Recipes, one called Brew Log 2003, and one called Brew Log 2004. Obviously, you can tell from the names what each one of these folders holds.

Let's say that I have a recipe for ABC IPA in my All-Grain Recipes folder. I originally created the recipe on November 17, 2003, but I brew it again on August 1, 2004. I make no changes to the recipe... I simply brew it as is, and then after the brew session, while having the original recipe selected in my All-Grain Recipes folder, I hit the "Copy to Brew Log" button. BeerSmith does just that; however, the date on the copied version of the recipe that now resides in my Brew Log 2004 folder still says November 17, 2003.

Of course, I can go and manually change that date to reflect today's date... and this is what I do. What I'm proposing is that upon pressing the "Copy to Brew Log" button, the program duplicates the recipe and moves it to the Brew Log folder, only it automatically updates the brew date field.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense now :D

Colin,
 I do think I understand you - the problem is that you might enter an item in the brew log well after you have brewed it.

Some people, for example, enter recipes in the brew log after they have tasted them.  In this case setting the "brewed" date to the day you post it to the brew log might be incorrect.

Cheers!
Brad

Gotcha. The date field could still be made to be "adjustable".... or something :) I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't immediately (or shortly thereafter) copy the brewed recipe into the Brew Log. I do that so that I can record the OG of the beer, as well as other notes regarding the brew day and brewing process.

Eh, six of one, half dozen of the other :D

Back