• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How many bottles needed?

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
This weekend, as I was cleaning 70 Grolsch bottles that were gifted to me in varying degrees of nastiness ( :-X ), I started thinking about what I think would be a useful feature in BeerSmith.

I bottle a lot of my brews, and usually, I use more than one size of bottle. For instance, I'll oftentimes bottle most of a batch in 12-ouncers, but bottle a couple 22-ouncers for sending to other brewers. Sometimes, it's a case of not having enough bottles of all the same size. Likewise, my finished beer volumes often ranges between 4.5 and 5.5 gallons. So, I often have to do all kinds of really difficult math ;) in order to figure out how many bottles of each size I'd need.

Maybe it could just be a "tool" and not part of the recipe view in BeerSmith, but what about a feature that would tell you how many bottles of any size you'd need to package a given beer volume? Obviously, there are hundreds if not thousands of different combinations, so it wouldn't work just to have the program automatically generate all the possibilities. What I'm thinking is this...

Here's the scenario: I've got 5 gallons to bottle, and I have 12, 16, and 22-ouncers at my disposal. Let's say I want 6 22-ouncers. I enter "5 gallons" in the volume field, and dial in "6" under the 22-ounce bottle field. Then, there could be a check-box that would "lock" this number of 22-ounce bottles. The program would then calculate how many 12-ouncers I'd need to bottle the remainder of the volume. At this point, I could start to adjust the 12- or 16-ounce field, for more or less of either, and the other "unlocked" field would adjust up or down.

Hope that makes sense!

Colin,
 You can obviously do this with the existing volume conversions, since it shows you how many 12 oz bottles or pints are needed for a given volume.

However, it does require a bit of pencil work to keep track.  I can see where it would be nice to have a tool like this...probably for the version after next.

Cheers!
Brad

Back