• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer color

H

hmbrewer

Brad,

Something that might be nice is the ability to manually chnage the beer color. I found a recipe in a magazine for a Sam Adams clone. After I input the recipe the color was black. Sam Adams isn't black. I know that the ingredients the recipe called for defaulted it to look black, but if I could go in and change it based on what the final product really looked like. Just a my two cents.

Jeff

I did toy with allowing adjustment of color, but you need to be a little careful since the taste also changes with the color.

It could work fine in many cases, but if you don't have any dark ingredients to adjust it will be hard to match a dark color for example.

I will see what I can do - as long as you have dark enough grains it is possible to calculate the adjustment.

Cheers!
Brad

I would like to see this too.  That APA that I submitted to you shows a golden color in beersmith, but in reality, it is a little more copper.

Brownbeard,
 Unfortunately the program can't provide an exact match of the color from the SRM alone.

See the note at the bottom of this technical piece on color:

http://beersmith.com/Help/colors_tech.htm

In addition there are display problems with trying to match the color, since a single color swatch does not reflect the 3D transparent nature of the beer.

So the color estimate you see in the program will be in the ball park, but there is no way given only the SRM color of the ingredients and display limitations to get a precise match across all color possibilities.

Cheers!
Brad

Here's my 2 cent worth, I really have never paid that much attention to the color chart, the only one it seems to get right is my stout.

I have found that the color of grains varies from one supplier to another.  In experimenting with equal amounts of water and the "equivilent type" of grains,   brand X's 10L is darker than the same amount of 10L of brand Y's.  

The ability to change a brew's color would be useful in my applications.

It is in the new version coming very soon.  You will be able to adjust color much like you adjust bitterness and gravity today.

Cheers!
Brad

Just on the topic of color, in the same way we have measured OG, FG and ABV, I would like to be able to record the actual finished color.
Nothing more than a popup dialog that has a color bar like in John Palmers mash pH sheet, and it has a slider that selects the color. A big swatch under the slider would help in selecting the color too.

Back