• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Primary Fermentation time

B

bachmanmw

Hello from San Diego!
    I brewed my first batch of homebrew on 9/5/10 (5 days ago), it's been fermenting in my 6ga glass carboy for 5 full days. It is an American Wheat Ale. The yeast were going crazy for a couple days but now everything is calm. If there are zero bubbles at the airlock, the foam has all sank down and the top layer of the beer is dark again, looking like the day I pitched the yeast save for the layer of cake on the bottom, is it OK to bottle yet? I don't want to be over anxious but I wonder what good will come from allowing more primary fermentation time. Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!

The only way to know for sure is to take hydrometer readings.
Also, it does not hurt to let things set for another 7-10 days.
This gives the yeast time to "clean up" some of their off flavors, and allows for the beer to clear even more.

Thanks Mr. Painter!
I appreciate the feedback. So as long as I keep the temperature within the recommended range, I can let it sit for another week and not have to worry about anything right? Also, I didn't strain it when I poured the wort into the carboy, what are your thoughts on straining the wort?

bachmanmw said:
Thanks Mr. Painter!
I appreciate the feedback. So as long as I keep the temperature within the recommended range, I can let it sit for another week and not have to worry about anything right? Also, I didn't strain it when I poured the wort into the carboy, what are your thoughts on straining the wort?

You will have no problem at all just letting it sit, as long as it remains airlocked.  I don't strain, and I would not worry about it.  Once you transfer it over to a bottling bucket most of the gunk stays on the bottom of your fermenter.  Happy brewing and drinking.

-Clay

Back