• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith on Android?!?!

I would like to volunteer to work on the Android version. I'm a software engineer, brewer, beersmith user and android developer.
What more could you ask for?
I signed up to post on the forum just to leave this comment.
8)

BeerSmith said:
At the moment I'm finishing up a cloud server to allow sharing of recipes across the internet.
I believe this is an important feature to have for the mobile platforms as ultimately brewers want
to be able to access their recipes from several computers and devices.

This all sounds like EXACTLY what I've been wanting, but I wonder why you're creating your own cloud server when cloud storage solutions such as DropBox, Box, and SugarSync already exist.  I use my free DropBox storage to move files between my various devices (home and work laptops, tablet, eReader, and phone) anytime I want.  This includes BeerSmith files in both native .bsmx and BeerXML formats.  With any of these three systems I can restrict my files tightly or share them widely for others to use.

Even better, there's nothing you'd have to do on the desktop OSes to support these services because they already have the ability to monitor a local directory and synchronize it into the cloud.  All you'd need to do is allow the mobile versions of BeerSmith to read/write files in these services using their existing Web services APIs.

It seems to me that if you supported one or more of these cloud storage services, you could concentrate on the mobile versions of BeerSmith instead of what has now become commodity infrastructure.  Thoughts?

Hi,
  The cloud storage actually serves multiple purposes.  It allows sharing of the cloud folder across machines which is useful for those of us with more than one computer, but it is also a massive online database of recipes so if you place a recipe on the cloud server and then mark it as shared anyone can search, download and use it.  So it is actually does quite a bit more than just allow one person to share recipes across several machines.

Brad

Back