• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[BSHB] Making a Porter Recipe

raymcgill

Apprentice
Reaction score
I love Baltic Porters. Looked at the Borders Porter %20Making%20a%20Porter%20Recipe&utm_campaign=beersmith_blog]http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_77.htm?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_content=[BSHB]%20Making%20a%20Porter%20Recipe&utm_campaign=beersmith_blog and thought I'd throw this out to the community.
1. Mash temp of 150? Seems low, and the article suggests higher is better.
2. This HUGE porter with one packet of dry Windsor yeast? I would do two at a minimum. That may explain the lack of attenuation.

Hey, this won 1st place, which I've never even entered a contest, so what do I know?
Reply and tell me why its better this way. Maybe its sweeter due to lower attnuation which makes up for the low (i.e. thin mouthfeel) mash temp?

Raymond in Portsmouth NH

Mash at 150F,  depends on the final gravity you want, generally the bigger the beer the lower the mash.  If you want to make this a 1.060 OG beer then mash at 153/154, great, that will work.  Mashing this recipe higher will leave it more of a cloying character.  Two packs of yeast should lessen this somewhat.
One pack of dry yeast is borderline (I usually use 1.080-1.100 as the 2 pack threshold.) Anything over 1.120 use 3 packs.  I always rehydrate my dry yeast for 15-20 minutes prior to pitching, which gives a better yeast count than pitching dry.

Fred

Listen to Fred, I've always liked his recipes.  And Fred, thanks for sharing over the years.

Back