• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from N. Georgia

racheek

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all from the N.Georgia Mountains!  I have been brewing for about 4 months and have already brewed 10 batches of beer and I am loving it.  I have already moved from extract brewing to partial mash and hoping I will have my equipment so I can start All-Grain brewing before the end of the year (maybe Santa will be nice to me this year and bring me my mash tun and hot liquor tank)!  Anyway, I think I have driven the guys at the local brew supply shop (local is 50 miles)crazy with all my questions so now I am here to give them a break. Looking forward to learning from the experts on this forum!!

Good luck...I'll put in a good word with Santa for you.

racheek,
        Before you spend the money on a mash tun. Check out Brew In A Bag (BIAB) you can do without a mash tun and you don't have to sparge or any of that. I used to brew traditionally. I tried BIAB and have never gone back. My mash tun is now a cooler (again). Brewsmith works with BIAB so check it out http://www.biabrewer.info I am a evangelist for Brew in a bag. Probably a pain in the butt to people that sell expensive and unneeded beer goods. Not much difference between partial mash and brew in a bag. Just the bag size. Here I am with BIAB http://www.stempski.com/biab.php Good luck!

.... and please don't fall into the trap of thinking there is a progression of advancement - kits to extract to all-grain.  There are thousands of home brewers making very good beer from kits - and even more just using extract.  In fact there are numerous commercial micro-breweries up and down the country that only use extract recipes.  Yes the makers of expensive equipment will deplore my comments but what I have said is correct.  A recent issue of Brew Magazine (unfortunately I didn't keep my copy so cannot tell you the date) had a serious article extolling the virtues of liquid extract recipes and methods including advice from several commercial brewers.  So you might want to rethink your plan to move to all-grain brewing just now.  Why not explore all the possibilities with extract first - and save that expense.
David

Back