• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bad yeast?

B

bachmanmw

Hello All,

I think I have a problem. I purchased a recipe extract ale kit and received it on 9/4/10, at which point I put the yeast in the fridge. This past Sunday, 9/19/10 I brewed a batch with the yeast. It was a dry yeast which at this point had been in the fridge for 15 days. I pitched it into 70 degree wort and put it away. Now 36 hours later... no signs of fermentation! Nothing. Just a 1.5" layer of trube at the bottom of the carboy and no bubbles in the airlock to be seen. Any advice? (I plan on only using the slap-pack yeast from now on)
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

I love dry yeast.  Its shelf life is tremendous.  Look at the package for the expiration.  You should have let it warm to the same temp as the wort.  I rehydrate before I pitch.  Which yeast did you use?

Did you "proof" the yeast by re hydrating it, Or just pitch it on the wort?

36 hours is not a long time, Wait another 12-24 hours and take a Gravity reading, If no change, then you may want to add more yeast. As a precaution I always have a package of Nottingham dry yeast for when things go south.

Cheers
Preston

Preston, I didn't "proof" the yeast. I asked a friend and now know what that is and how to do it and plan on doing so each subsequent time.

Beer_Tigger, Thanks for the advice, I'll do that next time with the tempurature. I think to be safe I'll use slap packs that ensure active yeast for the pitch. It wasn't expired and should be good to go. The place I purchased the kit from e-mailed me and assured me it should ferment, he's never heard of the (Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast) failing to ferment. Hopefully it's going crazy in the closet as we speak. I'll pick up some yeast from my local homebrew storeon my way home from work, take a reading and if there isn't a change I'll add it. SHould I worry about extra yeast flavors resulting in the beer because of the double adding?

Last question: Since the wort has been sitting for a couple days and things have settled, should I airate the wort before pitching any additional yeast? Or just pour it right in?

I'd like to add a few comments based on my experience using mainly dried yeasts over 40 years:
1) Inevitably you will strike the odd yeast sachet, that should be fine, but will not start.
I don't know why; it can happen regardless of brand or age, & the suggestions offered by others in this thread may decrease the chances of this occurring.
It's highly likely that if you follow the usual procedures, & simply pitch direct onto your aerated wort, within the acceptable temperature range, you will never see this problem again.
2) Personally when brewing from kit products, & when using 5 or 7 gram dry yeast sachets included with the kit or bought separately, I always use TWO sachets, & in my case I just pitch onto a well stirred wort at 25 to 27 deg C.
I can't recall either a slow start or start failure since I adopted this procedure about 15 years ago.
3) Despite the knowledgeable advice here, I would say after 36 hours of inaction your brew is likely "lost", in other words by the time you manage to start it some infection will be present & is likely to impact adversely on final taste. So what to do? 
Well for the relatively small cost of a sachet of yeast, pitch again & let your brew complete. After the yeast has settled draw off a portion & taste.
If its good green beer you are lucky & you can expect a decent matured gassed beer. If you taste anything unusual or something you feel you would always notice when drinking, sorry dump the lot! If in doubt dump it!
4) If I am correct & at least for now you wish to continue using kits, you should carefully monitor the "time to see first bubbles".
You are aiming for 4 to 12 hours assuming you pitched dry at the correct temperature & assuming you used two yeast sachets.
If the time exceeds 12 hours, something is definitely wrong, & you need to investigate very carefully or your brewing career might suffer an unnecessary setback.
5) Some dry yeasts do start more quickly than others & some are also significantly more reliable. Generally they have an excellent life under refridgeration, I have successfully tested 4 years old sachets with success but would not seek to pitch yeast of that age without a newer sachet as backup - just common sense. Very recently I found some old sachets in a section of our fridge. I called the (kit) manufacturer who advised "don't worry they have an excellent life, but since you clearly support our product, we will happily send you some fresh stock". 4 days later a parcel of 12 sachets arrives!
6) I used to accept the advice of my local brew shop about which yeast sachets were the best. Now I realise they have to feed their family so they recommend whatever is best for them & they don't know anything about lower cost alternatives. I have tried liquid European yeast supplied on a nutrient slope (whatever that is)  & many other yeast including bakers yeast. Sure you won't get the optimum taste that will allow entry into competitions. But for many just brewing reliably, & producing decent tasting, modest cost beers is sufficient.

Hope this comment helps & to more advanced brewers I hope you don't see this as dumbing down your science.
Rgds all Peter O

bachmanmw said:
Last question: Since the wort has been sitting for a couple days and things have settled, should I airate the wort before pitching any additional yeast? Or just pour it right in?
Just pour it in after you have proofed it, you should be fine.

Cheers
Preston

Thanks guys, catastrophe averted! I pitched a liquid yeast on Tuesday around 7:00pm and it still took a painful 24 hours to get going but last night I peeked into the closet and it looked like a fresh .25" layer of clean white snow had fallen on my brew. This morning I awoke to a frothy white/brown layer (about 1.25" high) on top and bubbles flying out of the airlock. Wphew! I appreciate everyone's help during this tumultuous process. I need a beer.

Back