• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle cleaning - What is the best method

peterlonz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use PET lightweight blow moulded brown plastic bottles, 750 ml capacity, & pretty much the standard brewers bottle in this part of the world (Australia). They have a screw down plastic cap which has an elastic sealable internal membrane which makes the caps reusable almost forever.

They are so light they are a PITA to use, but I guess infinitely safer than the old glass bottles.

Anyway I have always used "good clean kitchen practice" as a guideline as to how much effort to put into cleaning & sanitation of the bottles.
So:
1) I always ensure tops are refitted promptly to bottles as they are emptied to prevent drying out of the lees.
2) I always rinse out several times with cold water within 12 hours of the bottles becoming empty.
3) I always rinse out with hot water (typically 70 Deg C min temp) a couple of times after the cold rinse & then set to drain.
4) After a brief preliminary drain I set the bottles (on a home made drainer rack with spikes) & put outside to dry in the sun (Australia !!!).
5) Inspect when dry (just to be sure), refit washed  & dried screw caps, but do not screw to seal so air pressure can normalise, the idea is to keep insects out, notably ants.
6) When required I use without further attention.

This process has served me quite well, but I have noticed one or more ringmarks, about where the beer surface would be, becoming more noticeable
I have attacked these marks with full strength swimming pool liquid chlorine (IE bleach), & separately with dishwash detergent & a bottle brush.
Neither seems a complete solution, & I am becoming concerned that these marks have somehow become etched in the bottle surface.
Certainly I am spending too much time on this. I can't remember seeing this with the old glass bottles, but I may simply not have noticed.

Does anyone have some insights on this subject & how critical might these marks be?

Thanks
Peter O

Back