• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Big Spiced Beers and Aging

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I want to make a big spiced x-mas ale but I'm wondering how well they keep.  I know big beers need some maturation time but do the spice notes fade over time like hop notes do?  Will a 1.090 beer made this weekend still be good this time next year if I use things like nutmeg, ginger etc.?

thanks for the help

Wildrover,

I made spiced beer a few years ago. It was too spicy for me. I used it for chili and marinade. A year or so later I found a six pack and thought I would give it a try. Whooa, it mellowed out and was very drinkable. The spice was more mellow and much more complex. The chili was good but the beer was better with age. I regret not shelving the spiced beer right away rather than drinking three weeks after brewing. Good luck

Generally speaking a beer that has a high gravity and heavy spices generally needs to mature much longer than other beers.  I would say that a strong x-mas ale that is heavily spiced should age at least 6 months.  They mellow over time and the flavors blend.  Kind of like chili.  It might be good today but it will be great in 2 days.

Thanks for the responses.  Sounds great, I'd like to make some this weekend, maybe have some around x-mas but I'm really interested in shelving them and letting them keep for a year or more.  We'll give it a try

Back