• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjustable Malt Mill

H

holodeck

I just bought a Barley Crusher Malt Mill. It is fully adjustable, however, the gap setting is pre-adjusted to .039 . Does anyone have an opinion of what the optimum setting should be?

I also have a Barley Crusher and have experimented with the gap settings over the past 12 months. The standard setting is excellent. If you want a slightly better crush run the grain through a second time at that same setting. It will take very little extra time. Great mill and very good crush.

Steve

I've had a Barley Crusher for just about a year now, and after mending some mash temperature issues I was having ( ::)), I was able to routinely hit ~75% with a gap of .037-.038.

Well, for the batch that I brewed today, I closed the gap down to .036 and crushed the grain using the hand crank versus a drill. My efficiency shot from my standard 75% all the way up to 88%! Couldn't believe the change, but it is what it is. I'm not positive that the gap was totally responsible for the increase, as I did sparge and boil a bit longer than I usually do, but it had to be at least partially responsible. By the way, I'm using Crisp pale malt... I think the variety of malt you use really influences on how effective your gap setting is.

Anyone have any experience with the JSP MM?  (Jack Schmidling Production Malt Mill)?  A reply from Brad gave me more input.  Obviously you fellas have had success with the Barley Crusher!

Thanks to all!!

Dave

I own a non-adjustable Malt Mill. I motorized it, and it's been working fine so far.

I have the Barley Crusher and find it crushes great on most all grains that I have used, except 6Row and some Chocolate.
When crushing the 6 row I heard the smaller grain dropping into the bucket as I initally dumped the scaled grist into the hopper. I noticed, or my wife did, that I had whole kernals of chocolate grain on the top of my grain bed after the sparge.
I am going to tighten up the gap a hair today while I prep up for this weekends brew session.  ;)

It is a great mill BTW!!

Spoon

When I grind malted rye or wheat, I use a Corona mill.
I find it gives a much better crush for these grains than a Malt Mill does.

Back