• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Please add the new/improved refractometer correction as an alternative

t2000kw

Brewer
Reaction score
Since you're working on a new version of Beer Smith, you might want to check this information out about refractometer corrections.

I was listening to a podcast on BasicBrewing.com about refractometers. Some research was done to come up with what appears to be a much-improved correction formula for the FG reading of a beer using a refractometer.

http://seanterrill.com/2010/07/20/toward-a-better-refractometer-correlation/

There's a downloadable spreadsheet that uses the formula that you can check out. The new "long" formula is on that site as well as two other, shorter and simpler, versions that are fairly close to the more accurate one.

I would like to know if there is a way for me to change the formula used in Beer Smith to reflect the improvements in accuracy using the new formula.

And, I would like to suggest that you offer a choice of formulas to use for refractometer corrections, the traditional correction used in most brewing software today, and at least one of the new ones on that web site. If the really long formula would bog down Beer Smith with heavy CPU use, the simpler ones Sean Terrill came up with should be almost as useful, and still an improvement by an order of magnitude over the traditional one. What I envision is a drop-down list like you have on the bitterness calculation formulas. You have 3 options there to choose from. How about adding at least one alternative for refractometer corrections for FG?

Some brewers may want to stick with the traditional formula, but I think that if you include this in Beer Smith 2, you might be the first to include it in any brewing software.

Sincerely,

Donald

Thank you!
  I received your message today and have bookmarked it to take a look at the improved equations.  I don't think it will be too hard to incorporate these into BeerSmith 2.

Brad

Hey Brad,

Did this make it into BeerSmith 2?  I would really like to see this be included as well.  Switching back and fort from BeerSmith to a spreadsheet is a pain.

Thanks!
--Brian

Back