• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cost per case

Norton

Apprentice
Reaction score
My guess is that the cost per case can not get much below $15 when home brewing a decent beer.
Has anyone calculated their average cost. I think my $70 Brew kit should pay for itself after about 8 uses.
If you can brew 2 cases for the price of a good case in bottles at the store.
Or as the wife says this will cost you more in the long run after calculating energy use.
And should I be concerned with this? I do not think so.

My ingredient cost per 5 gallon batch for most beers is generally less than $20 and yields more than two cases.  I heat with electricity at a cost well under $0.50/batch.  Overall it's much cheaper than buying beer.  But it's a hobby and wouldn't have to be cheaper to be enjoyable.

If you drink (FYB) Fizzy Yellow Beer than you can buy cheap junk from The store for a good price and a cheap drunk. But if you savor finely crafted  beer (at $8.50 a six pack) you will save a small fortune. 8.50 x 4 is $34 a case times 2 is $64 for two cases of good homebrew. I sip and savor beer. If I am somewhere where I can't get craft beer. I drink water. After all, it's cheaper than Bud and it tastes the same!

Good points, I do not purchase the cheap stuff  but usually a good Canadian beer.
I think that the cost will still be less in the long run. .50 per 12 ounces would still
be about 1/2 of what I would pay at the store. 

I am with everyone on the whole cost thing. My favorite craft beer costs $19.99 a six in Illinois which is over $160 for two cases (taxes kill it). I can brew a comparable clone for around $40.00. So depending on your tastes you can save a lot.

Plus the fun of experimenting and concocting new and exciting beers.

Ingredients aren't my issue, it's the equipment.  Just like the very first CD of Windows 7 cost a billion $; the second disk was a $1.  Same thing with big pharma and their new drugs.

Mentally, I have to write-off equipment costs on that first beer made or I would be crying in every pint. :'(

Similar to my first kettle http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/58-13140/p5153.aspx the rest you can probably find on craigslist close to you for cheap. Just watch for deals. Also http://www.mcmaster.com/ is a good place to get the small parts for whatever you cant find at a local hardware store.

Most expensive thing is the carboys which I use 6 gallon better bottles with much success. I also have 2 - 6.5 gallon glass my wife found for me for $25 each. Took some time to collect and the other stuff I had fun building. Attached is the latest batches to get you thinking. Mmmmmmm Beer

Attachments

• DSCF3431-1.JPG
    DSCF3431-1.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 6
You know the 6-8% beer you pay $3-4 a bottle for?  You can brew similar or better for about $0.70.

(after equipment is purchased for all grain and you buy in bulk.)

Equipment costs spread over how many "bottles"?  I've made 70 5 gal batches in the last 5 years.  I think the equipment cost is now down to $0.08 per "bottle".  I keg most so don't have bottle cost anyway.

All I can say is that I've spent a load of money & time on this hobby. Yea, a batch is cheap to knock out two cases for pennies on the dollar. But If I count EVERYTHING I've paid to brew beer and serve it... well let's just say our homebrews are truly priceless :p

Back