• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Don't Laugh

Monge

Apprentice
Reaction score
Guys,

I have a friend who needs to drink non-alcoholic beer.  He's tired of the bland commercial stuff but would be unable to drink any of my home brews unless I found a way to get the alcohol out of it.  Does anyone know if this is possible as a home brewer?  I'm sure the commercial brewers of Kaliber, O"Doul's and the others have mass production techniques but I'd need to be able to do this with no special equipment.

Let me know if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks,
Monge

[addl comment 10/12/10] I know that alcohol in beer will dissipate if heated above a certain temperature (although I don't know the exact temperature).  My first thought was to heat some beer that has finished fermenting and boil the alcohol off.  But then there would be no residual yeast left for bottle carbonation since the heat would have killed it all.  Could I add more yeast after the alcohol boil-off and then quickly bottle?  If so, how much yeast?  I learned that carbonation in the bottle only produces about .25% secondary alcohol which would classify it as non-alcoholic.

Back