• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Howdy from Houston, Texas

C

cooltouch

I just found this site while googling for info on home brewing. Something I've been wanting to do for years, but have never gotten around to, I'm hoping that perhaps if I join a forum and get a bit of first-hand input this will get me off my duff.

Several years ago, I came across a "Mr. Beer" outfit for sale at a yard sale and bought it. It had never been used, and still has the can of -- I dunno what it is -- wort? -- unopened. I'm figuring that that stuff is probably no good anymore, but no reason why I can't use the big container and the rest of the stuff in the kit.

There's a place here in Houston that sells home brewing supplies that I suppose I should go visit. I've heard that it will have everything I need to get started.

I've been told by a home-brewer friend of my nephew's that ales, porters and stouts are easier to brew than lagers and pilsners. He said, and I quote, "brewing a good stout is as easy as falling off a log." Good news. So I'll be going in this direction, especially since I prefer ales, porters and stouts over the lighter beers anyway.

Okay, well that's about it. Reckon I'll be seeing you on the boards.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm also in Houston (Jersey Village area). Let me know if I can help. There are two good places to get supplies, Defalco's, and Brew It Yourself. There are also three large Brewing clubs in the Houston area who have some great guys in them that can help also.

Cheers
Preston

Back