• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Re-using yeast from previous brew batch

peterlonz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have only a little experience of this practice which has worked well for me on the few occasions I have dared to try it.
Mostly I follow what I think everyone believes is a "safer option", & I pitch a new sachet, (actually generally two sachets so that's either 10 or 14 grams) with each new 5 gallon batch.
Mostly with the dry sachet direct pitching (IE no pre-hydration or "starter") I see bubbling from the airlock after between 4 & 16 hours. I can't explain that variability.
On the last occasion I re-used a batch of yeast, I halved it & pitched into a new brew within about 2 hours.
Bubbling occurred in 2.5 hours, the fastest I have ever seen; pretty soon the airlock was overpowered & so it became necessary to clean the overspill every 2 hours or so, quite a chore!
Final result was great.
My questions are:
Can you preserve the yeast sediment/lees by refrigeration & if so for how long.
Is it wise to try & wash the yeast, say by repeated addition of filtered water, allow to settle, pour off fluid, & repeat etc ................
Does this technique not offer a significant advantage in allowing a large quantity of healthy yeast to very quickly take over fermentation & so reduce the potential for infection. Obviously you would only consider yeast from a batch which gave every indication of having fully fermented with no indication of infection or undesirable off flavours.
Look forward to any enlightened comment, thanks
Peter O

This article I wrote some time ago covers this pretty well:

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/07/25/yeast-washing-reusing-your-yeast/

Brad

Peter,
        I regularly reuse yeast. I am not talking about cultivating it and storing in the refrigerator. I ferment a beer and then as I draw off the beer to keg (bottle) I then dump a cooled wort onto the whole yeast cake to reuse. That is to say I brew a beer, cool it and then dump it on a yeast cake that I have just bottled from. It saves me cleaning out a bucket. It saves me from buying a yeast. You just have to coordinate the yeast type to have two beers that use the same yeast. The trube left from the first ferment doesn't seem to effect the flavor of the second. Anyway, good luck

Back