• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Ingredients to Inventory

zaklee

Apprentice
Reaction score
Trying to learn how to use BSmith and I'm entering a kit recipe to learn the process. I quickly realized that the ingredients are not in the BSmith basic list (i.e. Rahr 2-Row Pale, Simpson's Medium Crystal, Simpson's Chocolate Malt). I substituted the Rahr for the generic 2-row Pale in BS but couldn't find anything to take the place of the Crystal or Chocolate Malt. And, I can't find the specifics for each necessary to add new ingredient entries. I buy most of my stuff from Norther Brewer and I've looked around at other suppliers. I don't find the grain specifics on any site so far.

How do you all find the ingredient characteristics for adding to the BSmith list?

Did you look at the BeerSmith Grain Extensions? http://beersmith.com/support.htm Import them if you find them.

Thanks Ziggybrew. I did see those and downloaded the Briess inventory. I also tried to compare some of the built in ingredients to other suppliers who provide more info that NB does. That was frustrating b/c I couldn't get any of the numbers to match exactly. But now that I've had a beer or three and remembered that brewing is an art as much or more than it is a science, I'll just use these recipes as guidelines to build my own.

I'm mostly interested in finding two or three recipes that work well and hopefully use ingredients that I can buy from one of the local breweries here in MS or over in LA. That would be convenient and cheap and keep me happy.

Do you order your grains online or do you get locally? If online, where?

Northern Brewer & Midwest Supply seems to have good grain quality and selection.
But I my local store has most of what I need (at my current skill level).

Back