• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Missed my OG on 1st all grain

M

Mark

I believe I shorted myself on sparge water and therefore failed to grab all the fermentable sugars.  I had to top off with 1 g. of tap water to get to 5 g.  My OG for the 4 g. wort that I boiled was 1.052; my OG after 1 g. tap water top off was 1.040.  My target was 1.044.

Question - should I leave as is or can I add some corn sugar or corn syrup to get back up to 1.044?  Howmuch should I add?

Leave it as-is, and chalk it up to a learning experience. That's still really not a bad efficiency for your first time. Check that your thermometer is calibrated, and make sure that you're sparging for at least 60 minutes. Congrats on your first AG!

You can calculate this using the dilution tool.  Make up a high gravity mini-batch, and then use the dilution tool to mix the two batches in appropriate volumes to match your target gravity.

However, Colin's advice is quite good.  In most cases the beer will taste just fine, and your efficiency will improve dramatically as you gain experience.

Brad

Besides, the difference between 1.044 and 1.040 is minimal -- no problem at all. You'll enjoy the beer!

I hope so - however, the White Labs British Ale Yeast (WLP005) that I pitched at 6:30 Monday night has yet to get chugging.  I did an amber ale with ~140 IBUs (my adaptation of a recipe on Beersmith with continuous additions of cascade hops during 1 hour boil).  When do I get nervous; can I re-pitch?  My temperature on yeast was ~76 degrees (room-temp) at pitching.  Fermenter in dark basement ~72 degrees.  Nothing happening as of 2 minutes ago.

Give it a little more time. Generally speaking, you should always make a starter, even with the "pitchable" tubes. Some yeast strains--in my experience, often the British strains--take awhile to get up to speed. Once they do, however, they'll tear right through the wort and finish the job. I think you'll be OK...

Right on the $ about the sluggish British strain.  It woke up yesterday and seems to be having fun right now and in an eating frenzy.  Thanks.  Another learning experience....

Sounds good, Mark! The 005 will work quickly, and it's very flocculant--meaning that it'll drop right out of suspension, leaving very clear beer. You may actually have to swirl the fermenter and rouse the yeast to get the yeast to finish, however, especially without using a starter. Once or twice a day for the last couple days of primary, swirl the fermenter a couple times. This will help you get every last bit of fermentation activity out of the yeast.

Good luck with your beer!

"Sounds good, Mark! The 005 will work quickly, and it's very flocculant--meaning that it'll drop right out of suspension, leaving very clear beer. You may actually have to swirl the fermenter and rouse the yeast to get the yeast to finish, however, especially without using a starter. Once or twice a day for the last couple days of primary, swirl the fermenter a couple times. This will help you get every last bit of fermentation activity out of the yeast.  Good luck with your beer"

Thanks for the tip - will do so tonight once again.

Back