• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

co2 tank in refrig.

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
I am setting up a four faucet corny keg tap system in my refrig. Can I keep my 20 lb. co2 tank in the refrig with the kegs or would it be better to have the tank and regulator on the outside of the refrigerator?            Thanks, Cowboy Up! :)

Either way works.  I have my tank inside the deep freeze.  I think I've read that you can have condensation problems if you keep it outside, but I'm not sure.  The tank works well for me inside, maybe others can comment on how well it works outside.

I keep my tank inside. I still can hold 5 Corny's. I decided to keep it on the inside because of the worry about cutting a freon line (hole) and the placement of the tank on the out side. I would have liked the extra room but I have only 3 taps set up as is!

Thanks guys. I have the same concerns about piercing a coolant line as well. I too will probably keep my tank in the refrig. Thanks for the info.                                          Cowboy Up!

The tank doesn't care where it lives (although it may be displacing a keg!).  The regulator does care.  The springs in gauges typical for homebrewers are affected by temp, especially cold temp.  I would recommend an outside tank and a liquid filled gauge (which run about $15 from Grainger). 

Mine stays outside for the sake of an extra keg in the fridge.  I use an old side by side fridge and my particular model, as well as most all fridges and chest freezers I have seen, had all the freon lines on the rear of the fridge so there was no worry about cutting one.  It doesn't take a very big hole either.

Back