• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wrong OG in All Grain Recipe

funkymuppet

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out why the OG comes up wrong (at least compared to what the source of the recipe says and the actual OG I obtained in brewing). The recipe is based on Jamil's American Pale Ale - stated OG is 1.056 in the book, I measured 1.050 (my first AG batch! working to improve efficiency - I used way too much mash/sparge water), and Beersmith says 1.074...
Have copied in the recipe below - but am suspecting there is a fairly standard thing I am getting wrong - I've checked the equipment details to make sure they're right - like boil pot/MT volume etc. I wanted to get Batch volume 5gals - and boil volume 7.0gals.
Can anybody point me to another area I need to check?
I couldn't figure the mash/sparge water calc either - that's why I ended up following Palmer's directions in his book and why I ended up with too much wort (almost 7.5-8 gals) - getting that better is going to improve my efficiency. I was attempting to put in a standard mash & sparge profile.
Thanks,
JW

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BCS American Pale Ale (JW)
Brewer: Johnnie Walker
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 6.56 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
11.30 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        83.39 %       
0.75 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        5.54 %        
0.75 lb       Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                   Grain        5.54 %        
0.75 lb       Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        5.54 %        
1.00 oz       Horizon [12.00 %]  (60 min)               Hops         37.1 IBU      
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (10 min)                Hops         3.1 IBU       
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (10 min)            Hops         5.6 IBU       
0.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (0 min)             Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (0 min)                 Hops          -            
0.50 items    Campden Tablets (Mash 0.0 min)            Misc                       
0.50 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
5.00 gal      New York, NY (DEP 2009)                   Water                      
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.55 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 27.10 qt of water at 159.3 F    152.0 F       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What efficiency does Jamil assume for the recipe.  If he's quoting a lower efficiency, that could be why Beersmith is reporting a higher OG. 

I'm not sure what he assumes in his book - but I just varied the brewhouse efficiency %age in the recipe view, and to get 1.056 the efficiency has to be 56%. This doesn't sound right - are there some settings elsewhere that affect the estimated OG that I'm missing?

This has come up before with regard to several books - usually there is a difference in equipment settings, grain profiles, or efficiency used.  The OG calculation is actually very straightforward and can be verified by hand (I have an article on the blog on how to do this by hand).  I'm confident that the OG estimate from the program is accurate - but it will depend on your brewhouse efficiency settings and also specific grains used.

Brad

Page 40-41 of JZ's book............

70% EE%
IBU = Rager model
Batch - 6 gallons
Boil = 60 mins, 15% evap rate
LME = 36ppg; DME = 42 ppg.

You used 75% EE% (higher estimate), and you wanted 7 boil/5 batch, but over sparged (lower OG reality), so it's hard to tell. 

It may be helpful to enter his recipes using his assumptions first, and once you get the result statistics to match, you know you're pegged to his recipe.  Then modify the settings to fit your setup. 

Q:  How did you do that scrolling window for your recipe?  That's neat.

Maltlicker - thanks for the reference there - got it.
Does the Batch Size of 6 gals then refer to the remaining volume in the boil pot at the end of the boil? I had assumed 5.5 gals ends up in the fermenter, so you then bottle 5 - and as the Beersmith field for Loss to Boil Trub and Chiller is placed above the 6 gal batch size, it seems as if the batch size should be set as 5.5 gals in Beersmith? Bit lost on those entries - sticking batch size to 6 and leaving loss to boil at 0.5 helped get the OG estimate down.
And for the text in the box, use the button on the toolbar with the # sign:
Code:
It inserts [ code ] TYPE HERE [ / code ] (without the spaces) - just type between the bracketed codes.

Here is my gross understanding of the water math:

Total volume of water used:  mash, sparge, etc.

Boil volume = clear usable wort that enters boiler
MLT loss = clear and cloudy wort that did not
Boil it down to...
Batch volume = total left in boiler, even that which can't get out
Boiler loss = clear and gunky wort that got left behind

BeerSmith has fields for the MLT and boiler loss, so the remaining should be the batch volume target.

Back