• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Sparging Brew Ended up with unfortunate taste

Hello all, My name is Elliott, and i am a newbie when it comes to brewing.

i started my first brew last wednesday, and the recipe is posted here
• 6-lbs dry light malt

• ½-lb carapils

• 1-lb Munich malt

• 1-lbs Vienna malt

• ½-lb crystal malt 60L

Hops
• 1 ½ -oz Chinook at 90-minutes (beginning of boil)

• 1-oz Willamette and ½ -oz Cascade at 20-minutes left

• ½ -oz Cascade at 2-minute left

Spices
• 1-tbsp Cinnamon and ½-tbsp Nutmeg at 90-minutes

• 1-tbsp Cinnamon and 1/1-tbsp Nutmeg at 20-minute

• 1-tbsp Cinnamon, 1-tbsp Nutmeg and 1tbsp crushed Coriander at 2-minute

• 1-tbsp Irish moss for clarifying

The problem i have is this:

i just put my brew into the secondary fermenter today, and of course i had to try it. unfortunately when i tried it, it didnt have the taste that i expected it to have. i expected it to have flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon very apparent, and they were actually non existant. instead, there was an overwhelming flavor of bitteness that replaced that flavor. i dont really know what i did wrong, because i really didnt expect this to end up very bitter. if anyone could give me some suggestions as to what i maybe did wrong, or maybe this should be a bitter brew, and i am just inexperienced in predicting the flavors that my brew should have. any suggestions would be awesome, and much appreciated.

Chinook is typically a very high alpha acid hop, meaning it yields a lot of the bittering compounds to beer when boiled longer than 45 minutes.  1.5 ounces of Chinook is a lot for all but the bigger IPAs (IMO). 

The ratio of the bittering units to the "sugar" units as measured by the amount of malts used, or the gravity of the wort, is shown on BeerSmith as the BU:GU ratio. 

With 1.5 oz of Chinook and relatively less malt in this recipe, you're likely tasting a very highly bittered beer. 

If it otherwise is OK, you could make a malty blonde ale next, and mix the two upon serving.  ;)

Thanks a million, i will be more aware of the alpha acidity of the hops for my next batch, i didnt really understand that before. thank you :)

Like malt licker said, pretty bitter.  Your hops to malt ratio is a bit off-balance.

To address your spice questions, In my low-tech experience, spices are better added at the tail end of the boil or into the secondary.  Most of the delicate flavors in the cinnamon and nutmeg etc are boiled off.  Be cautious of adding things to the secondary for fear of contamination. 
Another solution may be to make an infusion of the spices by soaking them in a sanitized container with cold water or vodka for a week or so.  After soaking, strain the bits out and add to the secondary.

Also, with cinamon, especially, and other strong spices, go easy the first time.  Its better to have a decent beer that you think could use a little more cinnamon than to have the beer be totally overpowered by the spices.  If you put all those spices you have in your recipe in at the end as suggested, it may be overpowering since the flavors and aromas will not boil off.

I hope this helps.

Remember also that your hop flavor and bitterness will mellow considerably with time.  Since it sounds like this is your first batch with this recipe, you might make some tasting notes as time goes on after bottling or kegging.  I'm willing to bet that some of the spices will become more apparent as time goes on. 

If you're looking for a spiced winter beer, I would think about increasing your malt bill, and maybe go with an amber extract as opposed to light.  You might also try hops like fuggles, kent-goldings and especially saaz, to help highlight the spiciness.

Back