• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wild yeast and bacteria cultures

cavanzo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I live in Colombia and I have to import all of my yeast from Usa. I have a small MB lab and I've had success in mantaining and propagating yeast cultures. Recently I got cultures of some wild yeast and bacteria (Pediococcus, Brettanomyces and lactobacillus) I am not sure how to keep them happy in a culture (temps, inhibitors) and how to propagate them (nutrients, temps).
If anyone can give me some info on how to propagate and keep these cultures, I would really appreciate it.

Thx

Nick

So you are one of those daring souls who will  embrace both bacteria and that   unstoppable yeast Brettanomyces.

Lots of people think that Brettanomyces is like SATAN or something because it's hard to kill, spreads like wildfire,  ferments pretty much everything under the sun including the screwy sugars in wood barrels   and  can overwhelm pretty much all other brewing yeast.

I suppose if you like the  smell of hot sweaty wet dogs, leather and dirt then it's definitely the yeast for you.
Otherwise you might try to get some other yeast.  But of course unless you  are already very well skilled and equipped at managing the Brettanomyces to prevent cross contamination your brewery will already  have been taken over by the brain eating zombies.

Best bet is to burn the whole thing and flee, pell mel,  hands and arms flying in every direction, screaming into the hills before the Brett ferments you.

All kidding aside, I'd be very surprised if anyone  on a hobby brewing board had sufficient history and knowledge of Brett to offer you anything more than the same warnings that might have kept them from ever  experimenting with that yeast.  But, then - - ya never know.

Check this guy out:
http://brettanomyces.wordpress.com/
He's taken the yeast and  its cultivation very, very seriously.  Maybe he can  help.

Back