• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question

BruDawg

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to try and do a bourbon porter and have a question my recipe says to soak oak chips in bourbon then add to secondary fermenter my question is this do i have to buy a brew infuser to do this in a carboy or is there another way where i still will be able to get the oak chips out without breaking the carboy. I really want to try this but don't want to spend the money on another piece of equipment right now. or truth be told my wife doesn't want me spending anymore money. 

I had great success with my Bourbon porter. I used a sanitized wide mouth jar and put my wood chips in with a vanilla bean. I filled the jar with Bourbon and waited. After a month or so I added the strained mixture into the secondary. The bottled beer took second place and each year it gets better. I still have a six-pack left to enter in next years competition. Brewed in 2007!

Thanks I will try that. I'm realy excited to try this one  should be ready around late January, Hopefully it turns out

Back