• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using the Brew Log

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Some quick notes on the brew log feature...

The Brew Log is intended to store your recipes "As Brewed" so you can keep a record of your recipes each time you brew.

To use the brew log:
 1. Enter your recipe as it was brewed including the date, starting and ending gravity, taste notes, etc...
 2. From the "My Recipes" view select the recipe and use the "Copy to Brew Log" command.
 3. That's it - a copy of your recipe will now appear in the "Brew Log" folder.  If you have more than one version of a recipe you can differentiate them by the date brewed.

Another tip:
 You can change the name of the Brew Log folder using the "Advanced" tab on the "Options" command on the "Tools" menu.

For example you might want this year's brew log to read "Brew Log 2003" and change it next year to read "Brew Log 2004" to separate recipes by year.

Cheers!
Brad

I see no folder called Brew Log. When I select the Copy to Log with a recipe highlighted, I get the message "No Recipe Selected" in the preview pane. Unless the log has another name I am not seeing it anywhere.
Mark

Maybe you deleted it? What if you create a new folder called Brew Log in the My Recipes view?

PS This should be a sticky.

Thanks.
What I want to accomplish is to search all my recipes for a specific yeast used. 
I created a log folder and when opened it seems exactly like the "My Recipes" tab, with all my saved recipes listed. When I highlight a beer recipe it shows the report format on the right panel and the search does not work. Does not resemble any log that I have experienced. Is the log just another My Recipes item?

In the log I have new  several entries for the beer recipe I was "copying to log" so something is happening, but those are merely repetitions of the report and do not respond with the search other than to disappear.

How can i search a log for a specific ingredient--can that be done?

I don't think it's possible. I can only search for recipe titles when I try.

PS searching for 'search' in the Help Index brings up nothing except useless cloud links.

Ok then.
You have saved me a good deal of frustration.
Yesterday I saw some posts on other forums where beersmith users listed beers they had brewed using a particular yeast. They both said they searched their logs...so I assumed that was easily done. Not so apparently.

Desktop database software seems so 1990's...I use a library catalog software at work and no one really can use it effectively.

I think Beersmith version 1.4 had search ingredients.

Copying the working directory of Beersmith won't carry the Brew Log folder. Is this perhaps intentional? Or a bug? Where is the Brew Log folder is stored?

Your user files for BeerSmith are most likely in your 'My Documents' folder.  There should be a sub-folder named 'BeerSmith 2' and all your custom reports, recipe files and brew log files are contained in that folder.  Copy that folder into the My Documents folder on your new computer.

Maybe you deleted it? What if you create a new folder called Brew Log in the My Recipes view?

To use the brew log:
1. Enter your recipe as it was brewed including the date, starting and ending gravity, taste notes, etc...

Where do I enter this data?

tx
Cabin

This depends upon how you use the 'brew log' folder.  I keep my master copies of recipes in folders under the 'my recipes' main folder.  They are all set to a base date of 1/1/2001.  When I have a recipe I want to brew, I highlight the recipe and click on the 'copy to log' icon in the toolbar.  This places an identical copy of that recipe into the 'brew log' folder.  If you have no such folder showing, don't worry, BeerSmith will create a folder for you.

Now, I go into the 'brew log' folder and open the recipe I just copied.  I can set the brew date, update the pricing and yeast package date, and make any last minute changes to the recipe.  This copy is where you will enter your brew day data.  This leaves the master copy of the recipe intact and creates an archive copy where your brew day data and notes will not be overwritten (unless you accidentally do this on another brew day).  Once brewed, fermented, and packaged, I will move the completed recipe into a separate folder to prevent any accidents from happening to my finished recipe.

Back