• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone ever do a PM with a 10 gal mash tun?

DarkUncle

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have an Oatmeal Stout PM kit I need to use before jumping onto the AG wagon. I was wondering if using the instruction provided by Beersmith I could do a partial mash using my 10 gallon mash tun. I believe the kit has 4 pounds of grain in total, kind of small. I suppose I might be able to add a bit more oatmeal into the mash to help with volume if need be, no?

I've heard I might have more trouble keeping the mash temp up because of the additional open headspace. But other than that, are there any other things to be concerned with? Such as will the grain bed be sufficient to get a decent lauter? I believe Palmer suggests at least a 4 inch bed to get proper filtration. I'm not sure if I'll reach that with only 4 pounds of grains. Or should I simply stick to a BIAB method instead?

Thanks,
Chris

you should be just fine.
The only real  issue in MT size  and shape is the sparge method.
Too shallow a grain bed and you can't fly sparge 'cause it'll channel straight away, as if that's an issue at all.
So, you batch sparge.

Back