• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith file for "Can You Brew It" Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

I have one on my site.  I added a link to the bsm file in the recipe page.

http://web.jomebrew.com/jomebrew/

Is there any situation where one wouldn't want the "Adjust Temp for Equipment" box checked? This, I believe, is where I had problems with the first AG batch in hitting the proper temps (not that my mash was at the right temp anyway--stupid thermometer!).

I am not all that diligent about making sure my equipment is properly described in BeerSmith.  For example, I don't really know the thermal loss of my mashtun. It is definitely more than the default. So, unless I actually figure it out and set the value, adjusting for my equipment will just be another unknown.  The values are a guideline for me, I don't live by the calculations.  Another example is the strike water volume.  My mastun is marked with 1/2 gallon increments so I really just fill to the appropriate line (I use 1.5 quarts per lb.).  Regardless of the calculations, I fill to the volume level.  I just want my strike water at the right temp and the calculation helps with that.  I also now preheat my mashtun so I have little thermal loss.

I treat the calculations like a car GPS.  Sure they will get you there but you may take a totally undesired route through heavy construction.  I would rather use my knowledge, intuition, experience where calculations are one of the tools.  Blindly following the GPS might land you in a stream because a road was rerouted. Similarly blindly following brewing software calculations could find you with totally denatured alpha amylase and a cloyinging sweet, heavy bodied beer. But I digress :)  Go ahead, check that box.  I dare ya :)

Back