• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

carbonation

smswartz

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Made a batch of beer from kit let it ferment for 14 days bottled beer waited a week opened a beer and carbination is weak tasted good. Did I do anything wrong? 

What temp has the beer been stored at?  Should be room temp (70ish) not cold.  If 2 weeks is not enough, wait two more.  Depends on a number of variables including but not limited to the amount of healthy yeast, proper priming amounts and beer temperature.

What style of beer is it and how much priming sugar did you use?  Yes, sometimes more time will increase the carbonation, but only if there are remaining fermentables and.  Everyone has different tastes, too.  Some prefer a more carbonated beer, others, like me prefer less. 

Wonder if it would help carbonation if you shook the bottles up a bit and let them sit for another week. Been thinking of doing that myself. Stir those yeasties up a bit.

I usually let my beer sit in the bottle for two weeks before trying.  My basement is also around sixty degress so it takes a little longer to carbonate.

Back