• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

keg question

adama

Apprentice
Reaction score
so I just purchased my first keg (5 gal. sanke type) and am I little confused with all the carbonation information, particularly the time it takes the co2 to distribute itself throughout the beer before you're ready to roll. The reason I"m confused is, I work at a bar (which is where I want to hook my beer up for our staff Christmas party) and as soon as we tap a keg we serve it right away, so I'm wondering why I wouldn't be able to do the same with my beer.

Many bars inject C02 inline.  The serving tanks are not carbonated.  Some kegs are some are not. 

There are several charts online that show time and temperature and pressure to achieve certain volumes of CO2.  Different beers do better with different volumes.  IPAs do well an about 2.5 volumes where an English mild should be about 1.5.  It takes a few days to dissolve the CO2 into the beer.  You can speed it up a bit by increasing the pressure. 

I will put my 5G keg at 30 psi at 40f for a day then let is dissolve for .5 to 1 day then set it to the desired pressure (11PSI for 2.5 volumes at 40f).  It is consumable then but the CO2 bubble can be kind of harsh if not fully dissolves into solution.  I like mine after 4 - 5 days.  The bubbles are smaller and I get a nice, foamy head. 

YMMV

- Jomebrew

You could also "keg condition" your beer.  Basically treat it like one big bottle and add the bottle sugar to keg, let it sit for about 3 weeks locked up tight at 70 ish (for an ale) and then connect to the bars system and you're good to go!

If I do that wont it be over carbonated with a combination of the conditioned beer and a gas line?

After its carbonated, either naturally or by force, use still need CO2 (pressure) to push the beer out.
It will not be over carbonated.

cheers

Back