• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need help...Dense Beer

bkrzyzak

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a beer similar to Sam Winter but an Ale.  I followed the Recipe but added a litle of Victoy malts.  The beer turned out more dense than I wanted.  Very full mouthfeel.  The head is actually creamy.  I will post my recipe.  Any  help is appriecated.  I had the same with a Pumpkin I did.  Thought it might of been the roasted squash I used.    Its good and flavorfull but a little thick.

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/18/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Brian Krzyzak
Boil Size: 7.20 gal Asst Brewer: 
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: BK's Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (9 Gal) 
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: 

Prepare for Brewing

Prepare Yeast Starter

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
  Prepare 9.00 gal Water for Brewing

Mash or Steep Grains

Ingredients for Mashing Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.67 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
4.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 26.67 %
4.00 lb Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 26.67 %
5.25 lb Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 35.00 %

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.00 qt of water at 165.8 F 154.0 F

Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.65 gal of 168.0 F water
Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3.60 gal of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.20 gal

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.063

Boil Ingredients Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops
15 min 0.50 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
15 min 0.50 oz Ginger Root (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
15 min 1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5 min 1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops
2 min 1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (2 min) Hops

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature

Transfer wort to fermenter
  Add water to achieve final volume of 5.50 gal
  Ingredients for Fermentation Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3056) Yeast-Wheat 

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______    (Target: 1.073 SG)
  Measure Actual Batch Volume _______    (Target: 5.50 gal)

Fermentation

10/18/2010 - Primary fermentation (14 days at 68.0 F)

11/1/2010 - Secondary fermentation (7 days at 68.0 F) 
  11/8/2010 - Tertiary Fermentation (5 days at 68.0 F)

Things that stick out to me:

*lots of Munich and wheat..........reads almost like a Weizenbock recipe
*mashing that grist at 154F might lead to a very mouth filling body
*boiling off 1.7 gals in 60 mins might caramelize the wort a little...dunno.

Maybe cut those grains in half and mash ~152F ?

maltlicker is right. You might leave your recipe alone and mash at 148F to thin it out. If you don't want the extra alcohol adjust the wheat amount?

I did a clone Sam Winter recipe.  I added the victory malt and kept rest to the recipe.  Does mashing at a lower temp give less of a mouth feel because I mash a little higher than the temp asks for.  Usually mash around 152 to 154. 

The short answer is yes.

There are enzymes that work on the starches to convert them to sugars.  Some forms of sugar are more fermentable than others.  The most fermentable sugars are converted at lower temperatures (more alcohol less mouth feel).  The less fermentable sugars are converted at higher temperatures (less alcohol, more mouth free).  Below is an excerpt from an article on BrewSmith that gives a little more information.  Read that and do an internet search on Jim Palmer, How to Brew.  He has a good chapter and discussion on mash temperatures.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/07/16/mashing-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

Mashing for All Grain Beer Brewing
by Brad Smith on July 16, 2009 · 8 comments

Here’s a summary of the major enzyme groups found naturally in malted barley and their active range:

* Phytase (86-126 F) – Lowers the pH of the mash.  Lowering the mash pH has a number of benefits, though a Phytase rest is rarely used by modern brewers.
    * Debranching (95-112 F) – Helps to increase the solubility of starches resulting in increased extraction for certain malts.
    * Beta Glucanese  (95-113F) – Breaks down the gummy heavy starches, which can help improve stability and extraction, particularly for mashes high in proteins and adjuncts such as wheat.
    * Pepidase (113-131F) – Produces free amino nitrogen, which can aid in fermentation.
    * Beta Amylase (131-150F) – Produces maltose, the main sugar fermented in beer.
    * Alpha Amylase (154-162F) – Produces a variety of sugars, including maltose and also some unfermentable sugars.  Mashing at the higher end of this range produces more unfermentables and therefore more body in the finished beer.

At the suggestion of my wife, I calibrated my thermometers and couldn't believe how far off they were. this could cause mashing trouble.

Back