• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

POLENTA

Derek Toering

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just looking for some stats on polenta as a mash ingredient.

My apologies if this is already in the forum somewhere.

Derek

since polenta is corn I would imagine treat it like corn.
It is ground so fine that it will probably cause problems in the sparge.

Needs preboil? I tried rice flower. And boiled 400 grams in 7 litres of water. I made glue. But the enzymes should fix that in a minuite, Ive heard. But I sure had a stuck sparge immeadiatly. I think polenta is the same, if it needs boiling. My stuck sparge maybe had other reasons.... First time I tried my rims

use a really fine mesh sack so that you can get the mash with out the stick .. Just a thought

My stuck malt bed had other reasons that time. Im gonna try the same again when I can reciculate my mash whithout stuck. I have to re-think and rebuild here. Ill be back in this thread about this. I trust polenta as a raw fruit ingredient, as well as rice flower.

dogma46an2 said:
What flavor notes you getting ? Polenta seems like such an odd adjunct

I get a "nice" corn flavor from it so like it in a beer like a CAP.  When I use corn meal (polenta) a cereal mash seems to help its consistency during lautering and of course gelatinizes the starches.  If your having stuck recirculations, you might try a step mash (finalizing in a boil) including a brief protein rest prior to adding to the main mash.

Im gonna do a small mash with the 800 grams polenta and 700 grams of pilsner malt at 67 degrees C for an hour. I do that the night before breww day. The enzymes from the malt dissolves starch in minuits. But ofcorse boil the polenta for 10 or 15 mins first. Then add it all to the main mash. Same with rice. Just boil the hell out of it for at least 20 to 30 mins.

Anybody ever use a rice cooker to mash?  I can coax a lot more starch out of rice with one than I ever seem to get cooking it on a stove top.

Do you mean to put rice in a rice cooker, and pour the result into your mash? Or mash totally in the cooker?

I mean use a rice cooker to cook the rice and release the starch. Rice cookers seem to be good at doing this because they have a programed time temperature profile optimized for it.  Then either add some malted barley and let it mash at 150 F, add some amylase enzyme or fold into the rest of the grain mash to convert to sugar.

Back