• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IPA Recipe

noreaster

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been attempting to come up with my own IPA recipe and this is what I have come up with. I'm hoping to end up with a fairly high alcohol content brew with a nice, piney type taste and aroma. Anyone have an thoughts?

Attachments

• IPA.bsm
    11.5 KB · Views: 336
I'm no DIPA expert, but based on your goals, I don't associate these hops with piney.  Chinook can be slightly rough but you're using it early enough that it should just bitter the wort.

Strictly my opinion, but 25% of crystal and carapils, when combined with a mash of 154F, may leave you with a bigger/fuller mouthfeel than most DIPAs.  It's tough to get a true DIPA to dry out and feel fully attenuated.  If you want drier, I'd recommend either mashing lower or reducing the amount of those grains.

That said, at 1.063 and 70 IBU (Tinseth) this is slightly low for a BJCP DIPA if you go by those guidelines at all.  But it seems like a malty hop-bomb, which would be pretty nice.  Brew what you want/like and adjust the next one to suit your tastes.

Here is a recipe that I like that seems to have the taste you are looking for? You would have to bump up the recipe to increase the alcohol but lowering the temps will help too.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-ChinookIPA.pdf

I am brewing this again next week. The first time I had it it seamed to mimic one of my favorite local craft brews so it is a staple in my arsenal.

Back