• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings From Harrisburg PA

mhenry41h

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My name is Michael Henry.  I am just getting started in the brewing field and I am really excited to get started.  I am starting with the traditional Mr Beer starter kit and my plan is to brew 3 batches in order to "get my feet wet."  From there, I would like to make the change to all-grain so that I can invent my own libations.  I have purchased 4 different books on the craft in order to fully understand the concepts before I go wasting money and time mixing stuff that has no business together.  I look forward to talking to you all and sharing ideas.

Hello neighbor! It would be great to hook-up and brew sometime.  Have you met the local brew club that meets at Scotzin Brothers?
REHAB: Regional Harrisburg Area Brewers. They are a bunch of good guys with a lot of knowledge.
You may meet them before I get a chance to meet you. I have a horrible job and have not attended a meeting since I started this in June.
Maybe I can lend you some five-gallon-batch equipment. You will learn faster doing a good extract kit.

Thanks Ziggy.  I just found the ReHAB guys and I would certainly love to get into it.  Last night I cooked my first batch of extract, a West Coast IPA.  It was ok to do, but I want to invent! I just have to find out how to join.  I always feel strange being a newbie around guys who know how something works, but I'd love to pick some peoples' brains!

You don't really "join". Just show up. http://rehabrew.wordpress.com/ or go to Scotzins http://www.scotzinbros.com/ and find out the meeting time/date/place. They are just normal guys who love to share their knowledge. I felt weird at first, but just plunge in. After a few SAMPLES of everybody's brew you will be talking like old friends.

That sounds great.  I will have to give it a "go."  I have almost amassed what I need to brew my first batch of all-grain.  I have been heavily self-educating through books and podcasts of Basic Brewing Radio which has been phenomenal.  I think I will make that batch, see where my biggest questions arise and then hit up a meeting.  Much like hikers, I've never met "beer people" that weren't cool!

mhenry41h said:
   That sounds great.  I will have to give it a "go."  I have almost amassed what I need to brew my first batch of all-grain.  I have been heavily self-educating through books and podcasts of Basic Brewing Radio which has been phenomenal.  I think I will make that batch, see where my biggest questions arise and then hit up a meeting.  Much like hikers, I've never met "beer people" that weren't cool!

Oh man. Are you a hiker too? I always had a dream of having brew day at Peters Mountain Shelter. We would need many sherpas to carry equipment. :D

Are you kidding?  :D What two things could possibly go together better than a great hike with a fine home brew for the finale?  Hiking the AT from 850 outside of Marysville to the Darlington shelter with a cold pack and 4 homebrews is out of this world!

Greetings from Lebanon! I literally just joined this forum minutes ago and see posts from local guys. How ironic. My wife bought me a Monster Brew kit and I just bottled my 2nd kit of True Brew. First was a basic Amber Ale and the 2nd was an IPA. (My favorite).  I hope it is OK. The relative gravity was a few hundredths higher than the recommended number. :-\ Anyway....I had an interest in trying to home brew for a long time, but didn't venture into the art. I usually keep two Troeggs sixtals on tap all the time to support my love of beer. (Hop Back and Trogenator). If you guys come east.....two great places to enjoy beer in Campbelltown and Annville. The Brass Rail on 322 in Campbelltown and the Batdorf on 422 as you enter Annville. The Brass Rail is a deli with a distributor. I haven't been in, but I am told they have hundreds of beer. The Batdorf is also a nice restaurant with a wide selection of bottled beer and about 30+ craft beers on tap.

KJ, welcome and nice to meet you.  I'm a rookie like you but ZiggyB, from the few conversations Ive had with him since joining in the last two weeks, has experience.  I have a pale ale about to bottle on Weds that was made from a kit.  Im awaiting the arrival of my mash/lautering tun and hot liquor tank so I can get hammering away on my first all grain recipe.  Its great to have locals to chat with about the hobby.  I've noticed that my affinity for talking about tasting, designing, and brewing beer is something that family and friends can only handle for so long.  As you get crazy about this like everybody else, prepare for your friends and family to tell you to be quiet!  Thus, this board is great! :)

Back