• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Coconut or vanilla porter

Well, another option is using extract.  I really don't feel that toasting the coconut makes a difference in my heavy Porter.  It has roasty flavors in the beer prior to the coconut.

Hmmm, Dinking out of a coconut?  Maybe with the smell but on the beer I had it was more at the finish and in the nose.

My beer is less nose than MB and about the same maybe less on the finish.  From what I remember.

In a few days I'll be coming up on the final days of my secondary for my coconut porter.  I did 9oz of toasted coconut in final 10 minutes if boil and I'm planning on avoiding the difficulty of the mess of coconut in the carboy and bottling bucket by, toasting another 9oz of coconut and cold steeping in preboiled 16oz of water for a day or two before adding liquid to secondary for another day or two..  I've even contemplated adding this liquid directly to the bottling bucket instead.  Any thoughts of encouragement/ridicule/suggestions?

Hmmm, I bottled a 6 pack of mine.  Anyone who has brewed a coconut porter interested in a trade?  Pm me if you are. I'd be interested to tatse the diferences.

econolinevan said:
In a few days I'll be coming up on the final days of my secondary for my coconut porter.  I did 9oz of toasted coconut in final 10 minutes if boil and I'm planning on avoiding the difficulty of the mess of coconut in the carboy and bottling bucket by, toasting another 9oz of coconut and cold steeping in preboiled 16oz of water for a day or two before adding liquid to secondary for another day or two..  I've even contemplated adding this liquid directly to the bottling bucket instead.  Any thoughts of encouragement/ridicule/suggestions?

Ten bucks says you won't notice any coconut.  I added 10 oz toasted coconut to the last 20 minutes of my boil and cooked it all out.  I primaried for 24 days and today is three weeks in the bottles.  Unless aging brings it out...it is gone.  Next time, I will use a secondary and skip boiling my coconut.

Ten Bucks?  I tasted mine when I was bottling.  No where near what I was looking for.  If I tried real hard, I could taste some coconut, but like I said, I'm pretty disappointed.  Maybe some more flavor will come out  after aging for a while.  What the heck, I'll still have a good porter to drink. 

Did 9 oz in secondary for literally 4 weeks. Will bottle tomorrow as my last kegs vent valve leaks Co2.
To be honest it may be a bit less than 9 oz as i roasted the coconut so it will have lost some weight so maybe around 6 oz either way i will drink it and was still a fun experiment ill trade when it is ready .....

I'm dying to try this soon. Keep the updates coming.  Can you post the final recipe and procedures so I can ovoid any problems? (My recipe changes by flameout)

What I would do differently would be to add more coconut for a few days longer.  I think it's fine but others want more coconut.  I also would use a yeast that's available here in the NW from wyeast which is the Rogue Pacman yeast.  It's a great yeast for higher gravity beers. Finishes drier than British yeasts which I prefer.  I may even try an American Ale yeast.

OK I did not add any gypsum.  I don't  know why it's in the recipe. I'll correct that.

Attachments

• coconut porter.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 317
Tapped my Roasted Coconut Porter this weekend
Very Nice and kinda surprising .....
Lighter body than I thought I may get. Real clean finish. Starts with a light sweet hint (but if i didnt know I couldn't you it was) coconut . But I think it adds to the brew very well. Lovely roasted and  light coffee notes as well
Over all a Beautiful beer....

dogma46an2 said:
Lighter body than I thought I may get. Real clean finish. Starts with a light sweet hint (but if i didnt know I couldn't you it was) coconut . But I think it adds to the brew very well. Lovely roasted and  light coffee notes as well
Well... if you did it again... more coconut? how much?

Ziggybrew said:
dogma46an2 said:
Well... if you did it again... more coconut? how much?

To be honest I would bump up the coconut to about a 2 pounds  or more  one for around flame out and one for secondary. seems to fade very quick as it isnt really soluble in liquid maybe even use 2LBS in the boil but yeah over all came out very nice and the sweetness it adds is a nice touch ill do it again im sure

Sorry for the late post, but I need to hear your opinions...

What is the benefit of toasting the coconut first?  Why not just pure, normal coconut flavor?  Especially  if going into a roasty / toasty beer like porter or stout?

Well, I just think roasted has a better flavor. As the roasted has a more concentrated flavor
As well I would think by roasting it removing some of the oil and moisture from the coconut that once it is applied to the wort and or beer it makes more room for the beer to move in and as it is absorbed it is released from the coconut shreds .

I think you may be on to something though and we should do an experiment with fresh and with roasted to see what kind of difference there actually is.

as for the porter part it seems like roasty coconut would contribute to more roasty flavor
I think for other brews I may not roast it. but once again I would like to do a test to see what kind of difference it really makes ...

For me, the roasting was to get close to the Maui coconut porter.  I think non roasted would be great as well.  Personally, I think the roasting adds a very complimentary flavor to the Porter.

I hung 1# of golden toasted coconut in the corny keg for a week using a hopbag and cotton string, sanitized of course. It imparted a wonderful hint of coconut flavor that improved with age.

ah yes I was going to say why not toast it to A) bring out more flavor and B) toasting will pasteurize it so it will be safe to add to secondary.
looks like someone already figured it out!

Back