• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late addition with DME

davkel

Apprentice
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could help. Yesterday I attempted to brew a clone of Sierra Nevada Pale. I saw several different recipes. They were all similar but the amount of malt varied from 6lbs to 8lbs. I split he difference and used about 6 1/3 DME, knowing that with the conversion this was equivalent approx 7.5 LME.

I did everything the way I have in the past, only I never used DME before.

I steeped some grains, added the grain tea and about 2 lbs of the DME to the approx 5 gal for the full 60 minute boil. I then added the last 4 1/3 lbs of DME at the last 15 minutes and stirred very well until all was dissolved.

I gave it an ice bath. It cooled to around 75 degrees in about 42 minutes but when I went to transfer it to the fermenter I was shocked at how much sediment, etc had not settled. Usually I pour it into the fermenter and leave a lot of trub behind but this time it had not settled and was suspended in the wort.

Like I said, I did everything the same as lat time and I ended up with one of the best beers I have ever had. A nicely hopped and clear IPA.

I used Irish Moss for the first time this time too.

I ended up with a starting gravity of 1.076! A whole lot higher than the recipe stated.

Any ideas?

Sounds great to me.
What was your hop schedule?
I've read, at 1.070  to  1.080  it's a great idea to split your DME the way you did, when your doing an IPA, or wanting your hops to come thru.
If you dump a large amount of DME at the start of the boil, your hops will have a hard time (iso something) Releasing their hop oils into the wort. So if you divide the DME like you did, the beginning of the wort, won't be so concentrated with sugar, letting the hop oils be free to flow.
About the sediment. it should all settle out at the end of fermentation. 
stevemwazup

I added the bittering hops( .9 oz Perle) at the beginning, goiled for 60 min. I added the rest of the DME & the 1/2 ounce of Cascade with 15 min left, then added 1 oz of Cascade and save just .1 oz or so of the Perle and the end.

I figure the beer will probably clear but was was shocked at how much junk it had floating around, suspended, after a 45 min rest.

It started fermenting about 20 hrs later and is going strong. I'll probably have a high alcohol winter-warmer instead of Sierra Nevada Pale.

Back