• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

The fastest

5/6 days -- When I was new to brewing I tried an experiment:
4 lbs light LME, 4 lbs wheat LME, and 1 0z of cascade brewed on a Sunday and threw in good old Notty, Kegged by Thursday, force-carbed and drank by Saturday (Actually had a glass on Friday to "test" the level of carbonation).

It didn't suck. The BMC crowd liked it. I won't ever do it again though. It wasn't that good. :D

Initially, I would ferment for 5 days then keg and could consume that day.  I found the beers were not as good as they could be.  Leaving them in the keg a month helped a lot.  Now, I leave it in the temperature controlled ferementer at least 10 days then keg.  Still beers are not at their peak.  After asking about 20 pro brewers I found that the general consensus is an IPA peaks around 5 weeks, Pales a little sooner in about 3 weeks and wheat beers never peak  ;D ;D ;D My smoked porter is OK after 2 weeks but is awesome after 3 months.

What do you mean by: "[...] I found that the general consensus is [...] wheat beers never peak [...]".

No one thought anything of wheat beers or wheat beers start out at their peak and even pro brewers themselves do not ever get to taste them soon enough?

I'm going to spend my next brew day brewing a wheat beer on water, pilsner malt, munich type 1 (10 EBC), wheat malt and a WLP300 Hefeweizen Yeast starter.

I might on second thought throw in some cara rye malt (80 - 100 EBC) and a handful of juniper berries and go for a finnish sahti kind of beer. 

I'll let it ferment for 4 days at room temperature and then put on a keg for about 1½ weeks. That's about all the patience I have at this point.

Cheers.

Back