• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Honey Additions

chadharvey

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am using BeerSmith 1.4 and having difficulty in figuring out how to add honey at different times during the boil.  I have two honey additions:

At the beginning of the boil, and 45 minutes in.

When I add the honey to the program, it all says add for 90 minutes, which is my boil time.  Any suggestions?

Thx,

CH

Well, if you want the flavor or even aroma of honey, you'd be better served to add much later, perhaps even after the boil has ended.  Most people I know that use honey often add it at 20 minutes down to right after they start chilling while wort is 180 to 170F-ish. 

To fix your problem, I think you'd have to change the Type of ingredient it is.  Choices include grain, extract, sugar, etc.  Honey is sugar by default which limits the choices. 

I too am having the same issue. I have beet sugar, molasses, and brown sugar that all go into the boil at different time. It would awesome if we could put the exact time of the boil that it is needed. The daily brew sheet would be correct then.

Same problem. I changed it to an extract and made the time 15 minutes. But, the BrewSheet says to add all extracts immediately including the honey.

Back