• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DIY mash filter ring

bosango

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I came up with a way to securely attach the popular water heater supply lines to copper tubing without having to deal with the nasty frayed ends.  I slid two short sleeves of 3/4" tubing (they're different lengths in the photo - too cold for accurate measurements in the garage!) onto the 24" braid, fluxed up a 1/2" tee, slid the tee into the braid, added a little more flux, slid the collars over the braid, and then soldered it all up.  Not sure if the circular design might cause any cleaning issues because it will be difficult to flush out.  I'm hoping that the flexibility of the braid will allow me to shake out any clogged grains.

Oh, and the Home Depot has 10 gal beverage coolers for $40 - cheaper than any place else I could find online or in town.

Happy Brewing!

Attachments

• IMG_2151 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2151 (Medium).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2153 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2153 (Medium).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
Cool!  I imagine you could toss it into the strike water for a bit and kill off anything before it sets in the mash killing off anything  ;D

I have used a similar setup for a 5 gal cooler/tun. By similar I'm refering to the circular shape. I wasn't as smart about the ends though ........ I really like the idea!!
Anyway ......... I just clamped the braid onto two ends of a 3/8 tube barbed tee. Its been in use for two previous brewing seasons (November to March) plus this one.  No problems cleaning.  The third barb of the tee is pushed into a rubber stopper. I have a 1/2in brass pipe coupler on the inside of the bulkhead so I just shove the stopper into the coupling. After the brew, I just unplug it and soak it in the boil kettle during clean up. Haveing it removed makes cleaning the tun easier too. We have never had a "bug" problem. Remember also this used pre-boil. Great idea on dressing this up!!

Preston

Back