• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Old dog, new tricks

MikeinWA

Master Brewer
Reaction score
OK, I have been brewing for....many years now and I have found a few methods that work well for me.  I live in the Pac NW so it rains alot here.  I all grain outside on nice days and extract inside on Crappy days.  I brew once to twice a month and usually a different type of beer with my seasonals that need aging that I bottle. Otherwise, I keg. I have a small set up do to limited space, alot of other hobbies, a wife and two teenage daughters.

It's worked just fine for me for years.  Just like you I feel I make very good beer and so do my friends.

To the point.  I always brewed 5 gal batches.  The other day I was helping a buddy move his garage for his remodel when we found his Keg that he had for brewing 10 gal batches.  So, tonight we brewed my first 10 gal batch of beer.  Chocolate stout. ( I know, very late in the season but it will keep till next Fall)

I used my first brew pot with a thermometer built in.  I used my first brew pot with a bottom drain.  I used hop bags for the first time tonight.

Let me say.... Why the HELL haven't I been doing this all along?!!!!!

I have known about them for years but always said...Why do I need that?

Answer: It makes things easier and cleaner.

Moral: Try new things.

Sorry for the rant. Just wondered if anyone else has had small revelations like this that have made your brewing easier?

Thanks for sharing. Since I'm fairly new to brewing (13 months), every brew day is "trying something new". I get impatient to upgrade/advance to ten gallon batches and all that March pump madness. So far I have a massive mash tun but no big kettles yet. But staying within my budget means I have to take baby steps. Yes, I'm jealous. But very content and thankful to at least be having fun with my 5 gallon setup for now. Enjoy your beast.

I think the best improvement I have recently made that has made things easier is getting my son addicted to being my brew assistant. He is younger and stronger. Who needs a March pump when you never have to lift a heavy pot anyway. LOL

I used to have my daughters help bottle and brew when they were younger.  It was fun.  I always said they got to learn some science as I explained things to them but it was just fun hanging out and having help.  Especially, when bottling.

Now they are into boys and sports ::)

Back