• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cellaring Beer Styles

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'd like to know what styles of beer lend themselves well to cellaring?  I know Barleywines work well for this but can anybody recommend any other kinds of beer that are good to hold onto for an extended period of time? 

Word of the day is : Maturation!

You are looking for beers like,  barleywines, imperial stouts, Belgian strong ales, lambics, old ales ,big beers(Though I have had some brews that were fairly moderate in ABV do just as well )
beer should never come into contact with heat or light.
cool constant temperatures; usually around 50-55 degrees F
Your strong beers (like barleywines, tripels, dark ales) will be their happiest at room temperature (55-60F), most of your standard ales (like bitters, IPAs, dobbelbocks, lambics, stouts, etc) will be at cellar temperature (50-55F) and your lighter beers (like lagers, pilsners, wheat beers, milds, etc) will be at a refrigerated temperature (45-50F). Usually the higher alcohol, the higher temperature and lower alcohol, the lower temperature .
Some beers need only a year, while others can age for 25+ years. And, many breweries have no idea what their beer will taste like years later.
Over all its a gamble to what the taste out come will be with all the variables that are out there during this
long period of time.
Just grab the ones you loves find a nice cool dark corner and wait.
Right now in mine I have,

Stones, Vertical Epic 08,09.
Darklord, 08,09.
Averys, grand cru
A Russian Imperial Oatmeal stout I did in 05 (and this beer itself took like 3 freaking years before it calmed down enough to be good i had one last year and it was perfect just to show how long some can wait)
DFH, a bunch I cant remember what all i have of them in there
a Doppelbock I did very lovely beer
and a few others
some Big IPA's I know
some wood aged brews .
I can't remember the rest I try not to that way they stay put lol

Back