• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops Recomendations

S

SAHomeBrew

My high gravity IPA is about ready for another brew, but I need to beef up the hops a tad (yeah right, just a tad). The recipe so far uses Centennial and Fruggles, any suggestions for a nice blend of a third and or fourth hops?

The current IBU is about 42, wouldn't mind bring it up to about 60 - 70 range.  ;D

I am considering an Amarillo and or Columbus maybe Saaz.

Thoughts?

Do you want to go American, British, or other? Looks like you're about covering the spectrum already. You can't go wrong with EK Goldings in any beer, in my mind. I made an all Centennial beer (similar to Bell's Two Hearted) that is pretty tasty. I've also made an IPA that used Chinook, Cluster, Cascade, and Crystal, all in that order in the boil--that was pretty killer too, and very American.

Not exactly brewing to a style, but more to a taste. As I get my hand slapped. My local brewpub brews a strong ale (about 11% ABV) and I enjoy the taste, but it's not real hoppy, and I like an IPA. I guess if you want to go to a style, then it's on it's way to becoming an Imperial IPA. I wanted to get the "base" beer down before going any further. Due to a mistake, I got there. faster than expected. I have brewed this "mistake" twice now, with the same taste, so now it's time too move on to the next step, the flavor so far is pretty good, but too malty for an IPA, it's coming out with the right citrus taste, so now I can bring out some other flavors and beef up the IBU's a bit.

Make sense?

I am also a hop head ;D

Centennial centennial centennial.  Cascade and did I say centenial and how about Cascade.  I love these for IPA and dry hopping anything you want to dry hop.

Don

I am considering an Amarillo and or Columbus maybe Saaz.
All of those! Save the Saaz for the last 15 to 0 minutes and blend all the others together and add them for 60, 45, and 30 minutes (and if you really want to get fancy, 25 and 20 also). If you finish with a blend, though, you'll lose a lot of your Saaz flavor and aroma, so I'd finish with the single hop. Sounds wonderful!

I like amarillos and cascades for aroma and chinooks for bittering. I like chinooks for the same reason a lot of people don't like them--they're really aggressive.

My brew buddies and I (former near water drinkers) really put the Cascade to some of our brews. :eek:

Pass on the recipe!!!

Back