• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

particles inside bottles

A

andrew Clark

Can anyone shed some light on why my last batch of all grain when bottled and left for conditioning has small deposits of something down the insides of the bottles. The brew tastes fine and I had no problems with the kegged product.  ??? It looks like specs of yeat and seems more concentrated in some areas than others. The beer does not taste contaminated
Help Please
Regards
Andrew

I've heard about this happening before, and it's probably yeast that has, for some reason or other, decided to cling to one side of the bottle rather than head for the bottom. Two things you can do (assuming that it is yeast). First, do nothing and just enjoy the beer. Second, roll your bottles on the floor and then put them back into the fridge. That should knock the yeast back into the beer, and then it can settle out normally.

Good luck.

Andrew,
 Never had this happened but it is possible you have some tannins and yeast that were attracted to the sides of the bottle - probably by electrostatics.

A lot of the extra stuff in the beer is statically positively charged.  That is the basis of how irish moss and polyclar work - they attract the particles electrostatically.  Its possible for whatever reason the glass had some charge and attracted the particles to the side.

Just my two cents...

Brad
www.beersmith.com

Back