• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Adjust Mash" vs "Strike/Infusion Temp" tool result differences?

rwright

Apprentice
Reaction score
I put the following data into the "Strike/Infusion Temp” tool:
Calculation = Infusion Step
Target Step temp = 168 F
Water to Add = 1.65 gal
Starting Water Volume = 2.75 gal
Weight of Grain = 8.75 lb
Initial Mash Temperature = 145 F
Mash Tun Weight = 0.00 lb
Infusion Water temperature = 211.9 F
Water/Grain ratio = 0.50 gal/lb

So the "Strike/Infusion Temp” tool is telling me that if I add 1.65 gal of 211.9 F water under these conditions the mash temperature will go from 145 to 168 degrees F.  From experience and other calculations, this is entirely believable.

Now, I try what I would expect to be the equivalent settings in the “Adjust Mash” tool:
Water Volume = 2.75 gal
Weight of Grain = 8.75 lb
Current Mash Temp = 145 F
Mash Tun Weight = 0.00 lb
Target Mash temperature = 168 F
Water Addition Temp = 211.9 F
Water Addition Needed = 1.08 gal
Final Water/Grain Ratio = 0.44 gal/lb

So now the “Adjust Mash” tool is telling me that if I add 1.08 gal of 211.9 F water under these conditions the mash temperature will go from 145 to 168 degrees F.

I would expect the results to be the same.  Why the water volume difference (1.65 vs 1.08 gal) between the two tools?  What am I misunderstanding?

I'll take a stab at this...

What I noticed is that in the first example you are "striking", that is adding water to dry grain..... which has one thermodynamic transfer rate...

And in example 2 you are adjusting the already existing wetted mash, which would have a completely different transfer rate...... resulting in a different (lesser) volume needed to accomplish the same temp rise, ultimately resulting in a  Final Water/Grain Ratio of 0.44 gal/lb as opposed to the original Water/Grain ratio of 0.50 gal/lb

Just my guess...........

I set the starting water volume to 2.75 gallons for the Strike/Infusion so I think that makes it an infusion step (grain already wet).  Am I misinterpreting this?

I'd like to believe this is my misuse of the tools, but am beginning to wonder if this is a bug in BeerSmith.  I have heard that a new version of BeerSmith is under development, so it would be nice to get this sorted out before the next release.

Having a similar issure here. Did you ever figure anything out? WHich numbers do you use now?

Back