• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Did I have a stuck sparge????

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Last weekend I made my second AG by batch sparging an IrishRed AG kit from NorthernBrewer (8.75# grain).

I modified a 48qt IceCube for my MLT. On my first AG I used about 4' of braided hose in the MLT in the shape of an"M." My runnings didn't clear as quickly as I've heard from others so I got a finer mesh braided hose and used a little over a foot this time. This braided hose is very stiff - no way could the grain weight collapse it.

To get my mash temp of 153 deg I ended up adding 15 qts of water to the grain. When I opened the valve to collect my first runnings nothing flowed out of the MLT (the MLT is about 3' above my collection pot). Then I sucked on the hose and flow started but was very-very slow. Probably took a little over 30 min. and I only got about 11 quarts of wort.

Then I added my sparge water. Unlike the first runnings this drained out very quickly.

Why were my initial runnings so slow???

Should I prime the system initially by opening the valve before adding the grain to the water?

Are you supposed to mix the mash just before draining?

Thanks,

Mike

I'd say, one of two things.

First, check your crush. If there's too much flour, then the mash will turn to dough and you get poor run-off. Also, the fact that it didn't clear suggests the presence of flour.

Second, since it's an AG kit, even if you've got a good crush, it might have settled during shipping, ie, all the flour goes to the bottom and husk goes to the top. In this case, you need to make sure the grain and strike water is well mixed, otherwise, you get the same problem as with too fine a crush.

Mixing the mash a few times while it's working isn't such a bad idea anyway-- spread those enzymes around!

-L

Back