• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding more flavor/body

dabeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I had brewed a Pale ale months back, and I loved the flavor of the hops, but the beer just tasted a little to light.  What do I need to add to increase the flavor/body.  More malt? I am doing extract kits.
Thanks,
Dan

I bottled a WIT beer a few days ago.  I too wanted more body with a extract brew.  I added DME.  The only thing I had on hand was dark, so it could be interesting.  I had intended to do a very small dry hop, but forgot!  It did raise the OG by .015, FG was up just .004 so the yeast must have liked it!  This was only a 2.0 gallon batch (MrBeer Kit).  I added 1.5 lb of the DME with an extra few minutes of Boil.  (20 minutes Total?)

Cheers!

Hey Pete, It's me Shane again. enjoyed the email, hope it helped. As far as body/flavor in beer ,it comes from unfermentable sugar/starches. The more fermentable the sugar the more alcohol. Sometimes you want to back off efficiency for flavor. Try using specialty grains. They are green grains cooked/roasted to produce flavor and color, but their conversion from unfermentable to fermentable have been comprimised.So a recipe heavy on crystal grains leads to more body/flavor.Up to 10percent per recipe. One pound of specialty grains per recipe is a good start for a flavorful/good bodied beer. Steep at 155F for an hour. Crystal grains  10l to 120l. The l being the lovibond reading.the longer the steep the more body. the higher the l, the deeper the color and carmely the flavor.

Blane,

My 3rd partial mash was a boosted MrBeer kit.  I added extra grains and hops to compensate for a increased yield as well as increased body.  I used Kamut, a type of wheat grain, chocolate, de-bittered black and cara 45 malt.  Mouth feel and body are every bit as full as the heaviest stouts I've ever tasted!  So damned excited about it I had a couple glasses flat!  It's in a keg now ageing. b I have supplies to do several more partial mashes before heading to all grain.  I have begun building up my equipment to handle all grain.
  I did enjoy the email and will respond later today.

Pete

you might need to do a bit of legwork, but definitely add more malt.  dextrin, produced from alpha-amylase reactions, will increase body.  i'd try to find a malt that that's higher in dextins and use that.  alternately, use more steeped grain.  steeped grain will have a higher content of larger starch molecules than extract will, which means more body.  i remember that my all-extract beers definitely has less body and flavor than my beers that had a mix of extract

Back