• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch size / Kettle size / AAU differences

jestrem

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've found some threads on my topic, but I'd like to clarify one concern I still have.

I'm going to brew 2.5 gallon batches and I already have a 4 gallon brew kettle. When I plug in "Brew pot (4 gallon)" the expected AAU comes in at 10.1 when it's supposed to be between 20-40. Because of what I've read on these message boards, I changed that to (3 gallon) and the expected AAU shop up to 45.

Am I going to be in trouble if I use a 4 gallon kettle to brew a 2.5 gallon batch? Or is the software "over reacting"?

BTW, LOVE the software...feels almost like cheating. 8)

I am fairly new to BrewSmith myself, but I think the key element you are looking for is 'Batch Size' - not 'Equipment.' Changing the latter (from a 5 gallon pot to a 3 gallon pot, for example) doesn't change the OG calculation - at least when I tried it. But changing the Batch Size does the trick.

See if this works.

Back