• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith Water Volume Calculations

ultravista

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have a few questions about how Beersmith calculates mash water and sparge water to result in the end result batch size.

For example. When reviewing a recipe for Yoopers Dead Guy Ale clone (12.5 # grain), the total step-mash (18.75 qt then 6.25 qt) volume is 6.25 gallons (12.5 # grain) and the sparge water is 2.21 gallons.
If figuring .12 gallons absorbtion per pound of grain, the post-mash volume (-1.5 gallon) would be 4.75 gallons.

4.75 mashed gallons + 2.21 sparged runnings = 6.96 pre-boil gallons.

If figuring .11 gallon loss per hour, the post-boil volume for one hour is 6.96*.11 or .77 gallons (3/4 gal) lost to evaporation resulting in 6.19 gallons post-boil.

Considering the target volume is 5.25 gallons, where did the other 0.94 (let's call it 1 gallon) of water go? Is it lost to trub?
What else consumes water?

Also, I mash in a bag (voile material) so there is very little or no trub in the boil kettle. The mash runnings are very clean. Considering I mash in a bag and have very clean runnings should I adjust for zero trub in the kettle OR is the trub loss assumed to be in the fermenter?

I am confused .. please help.

Hi,
  It depends on both your equipment and recipe settings, but if you want to understand how the basic water calculation is performed take a close look at the water needed tool - it closely mirrors what is going on in within the recipe calculations.  If you enter your numbers here you should be able to trace through the calculations.

There is a default calculation that allows for 4% loss during cooling. I understand that this calculation assumes that there is still evaporation taking place while the hot wort is cooling. 4% of your .96 gal would account for .0.247 call it 0.25 gal bringing your missing water down to 0.71 gal. I guess that much loss could be split up between the boil trub and what you can't recover after the sparge.

Back