• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weizen

cheffriz

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is a Hefeweizen recipe i am working on. Will probably be brewing this in a bout a week. Anything i should tweak?
the Briess Bavarian Wheat DME is 65% Wheat and 35% Pale malt

Updated with Suggestions

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hefeweizen
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 6.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
3.50 lb       Briess CBW Bavarian Wheat DME (4.0 SRM)   Dry Extract  43.75 %      
2.00 lb       Wheat, Red (2.4 SRM)                      Grain        25.00 %      
1.00 lb       Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.3 SRM)              Grain        12.50 %      
1.00 lb       Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM)            Grain        12.50 %      
0.50 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        6.25 %        
0.50 oz       Pearle [7.50 %]  (90 min)                 Hops         14.8 IBU      
5.00 gal      Poland Spring (R)                         Water                      
1 Pkgs        Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380)    Yeast-Wheat                

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp    
75 min        Mash In            Add 5.63 qt of water at 163.7 F     152.0 F      

Are you planing to use a starter for the yeast? If not; Mr Malty recommends about 2 vials+ of WLP300. If you get a 2 liter flask and make a starter with a little extra Wheat DME, you may have better results.

Your recipe looks good (I am no expert) but I tend to make mine a little heavier. Maybe I just lack confidence in my brewhouse efficiency ::)

[I am currently near the end of fermenting 12 gallons (don't ask, lol) of Hefweizen with WLP300]

No 60-minute hops strikes me as odd.  IBU are fairly low.  Reduce amount and increase time to ensure you get some iso-alpha magic going on?  What would 0.25 or 0.33 oz at 60 minutes do to IBU?  I'd target 15 to 17 myself.

+1 on the yeast starter, esp. mashing at 154F and such low IBU.  Would be easy to end up residually sweet...

MaltLicker said:
No 60-minute hops strikes me as odd.  IBU are fairly low.  Reduce amount and increase time to ensure you get some iso-alpha magic going on?   What would 0.25 or 0.33 oz at 60 minutes do to IBU?  I'd target 15 to 17 myself.

+1 on the yeast starter, esp. mashing at 154F and such low IBU.  Would be easy to end up residually sweet...

I am planning doing a starter but however was originally planning on using Light DME, but i will have extra Wheat DME to use instead,

Changing to 90 min on the hop boil brings it to 14.8 IBU at the same quantity of hops, that is acceptable

Should i be using a light body mash for Weizen?

Also this will be my first mash, so i am guessing on what my efficiency is going to be.
I am planning to add enough water to my wort to bring it to 5 gal. and check my gravity to get my efficiency before i add my extract

Where do you find Poland Spring Water. We have looked everywhere. We live near St. Louis.

In Rhode Island it is in our grocery stores about $1 per gallon, but it is a Nestle Water so what ever nestle bottles water in your area should be about the same.

cheffriz said:
Should i be using a light body mash for Weizen?

Since you bumped the IBU, I'd be less concerned at the mash temp, but 152-154 should work fine.

First time partial mashing?  With mostly wheat, I'd assume 'bout 50% to be safe. 

Just to clarify 12.5% Cara-Pils/Dextrine Malt is ok for a Hefeweizen?

Back