• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Syncing beersmith folder with Dropbox

leviticus

Apprentice
Reaction score
I was going to reply to the thread regarding 'web based database' in the 'suggestions' section, but figured I'd just throw up a new topic:

I'm testing out syncing the beersmith database between my desktop & laptop by using the folder sync tool Dropbox (I use it to sync My 'my docs' & 'desktop' folders already). I'm using a file folder junction to sync the folder outside the dropbox folder (there are plenty of writeups about dropbox and junction usage around the web, so that's all I'll say...)

Things seem to work properly (I updated a recipe on one PC, let them sync, and then opened beersmith on the other and the change had moved over..)

However, when I A) changed the preferences to only display brew log events in the calendar, & B) copied a recipe to the brew log, that change didn't move over. I'm assuming because the preferences are a registry setting? Will further changes to the brew log be synced now that the preferences are the same on both systems?

I can't say I expect too much 'support' for this, because it is essentially a hack (And anyone who tries it should expect the same... do it at your own risk of your beersmith data).

I'm just curious if the developer has any commentary on it (regarding any tips, cautions, etc.)

Really enjoying the software! - it made my first AG batch go very smoothly IMO.

Keep up the good work.

Forgot to mention:

I am, and others who try this should be careful that they not open beersmith on more than one synced computer at a time, as it will create a 'copy' of the database upon syncing. I'm used to this with other similar apps & dropbox, and it's not a problem for me to close it on one computer, give it two minutes to sync, then open it on the other.

I looked into to doing this when I first got Beersmith and then read on another forum about someone just installing directly to Dropbox. Couldn't believe it would really work but it does. Not sure how this sits with the licence but as it is only me using the software it's never open on more than one computer at a time.

HTH

Welly

Have you noticed any particular nuances with using it this way? (Anything to look out for?)

leviticus said:
Have you noticed any particular nuances with using it this way? (Anything to look out for?)
Sorry, missed your question.

No, I've had no problems whatsoever. I only ever run from one pc at a time and don't leave instances running, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

I do get the odd crash or printing issue but I assume that is because I am running on linux using wine. I had the same issues before I installed it in Dropbox so I'm pretty sure it's not a Dropbox problem.

Cheers

Welly

Back